FMCSA Random Rate Increase for 2020
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced in the Federal Register on December 27, 2019, that the minimum annual percentage rate for random drug testing will increase from 25% of the average number of driver positions to 50% of the average number of driver positions. This change, which becomes effective January 1, 2020, is pursuant to requirements found in 49 CFR 382.305.
The minimum annual percentage rate for random alcohol testing will remain at 10%.
Per the announcement in the Federal Register: “The FMCSA Administrator must increase the minimum annual random testing percentage rate when the data received under the reporting requirements for any calendar year indicate that the reported positive rate is equal to or greater than 1.0 percent. Based on the results of the 2018 FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Testing Survey, the positive rate for controlled substances random testing increased to 1.0 percent. Therefore, the Agency will increase the controlled substances minimum annual percentage rate for random controlled substances testing to 50 percent of the average number of driver positions.” The published document can be located at https://federalregister.gov/d/2019-28164.
According to the FMCSA, the positive drug usage rate has increased in each of the past three years, with a rate of 0.7% in 2016 and 0.8% in 2017.
MPCS clients who have drivers in our FMCSA compliant pool can expect their annual percentage to automatically adjust to meet the new requirements but must update their rosters before the end of the year to ensure the accuracy of their random selection.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced through the Federal Register on December 27, 2019, that the minimum annual random drug testing rate for 2020 will be 50%.
- The change in the annual random drug testing frequency rate becomes effective January 1, 2020.
- The random frequency rate for alcohol testing will remain at 10%.
- MPCS is automatically adjusting its pool to meet the 50% – 10% requirement.
- Update your roster before the end of the year to ensure accuracy of your random selections.